I was doing some reflecting the other day in the shower. (Hey it's a uninterupted place). Or you could say that it was one of those moments that I realized how lucky I've been in my life with the influences that I had surrounded myself with. I have come to find that I have unknowingly collected one ore two older/wiser-than-me women that have mentored me throughout my life and even continue to do so, in the many different places I've lived, during the awkward, confusing, depressing, ignorant times of my life. And I can say that each and everyone has helped me to better understand this life experience I continue to go through.
So here's the time line.
The earliest I can remember is Elementary. Probably 4th grade. And her name was Nan (pronounced Nayne). That wasn't her real name, but that's what her grandkids called her. So I did to. I would walk home and stop at her house to eat grilled cheese sandwiches, drink red punch out of honey bears and eat sugar cubes, then go home. This one I've held onto even to this day and visit her in the care center every opportunity I have.
5th grade. Margaret. She lived across the street from us. Had 2 super cute kids. Chase and Taylor (baby girl). And I would just spend as much time as I could there. A great family that still occupies my thoughts every once in a while.
6th to 7th grade. Back in SLC and back to Nan. did the same thing as before.
After that we moved up to Idaho I "collected" Tiffany. A young women's leader. So beautiful. Kind heart. I wanted to be like her. Thanks to facebook, I've found her again. *During high school I brought her back to help me with the silly "Junior Miss Pagent". She was my backstage mom and was the first person I met backstage after the let down of not winning. Not a big deal anymore, but young teenage me...devistating.
The second move in Idaho has two different people. Nikki (high school teacher), and Debbie (best friends mom). Nikki accepted all of the high school drama I filled her in on. Debbie wrote the notes to excuse our sluffs. My second mom.
Once I left home, Concetta took my hand and guided me during my Ct. years. Advising me of what to say to the guys I was now dating so I didn't sound like some immature, emotional, desparate girl. I'm glad I listened to her. She really took me under her wing, and I didn't fight it. There were others in this section, but Concetta was the main one.
Once I came "home" I didn't really attach to anyone. But after getting married and moving again, Shiloh was added to the list. Then Taya. My sounding board for the stresses of newlywed life.
Which brings me to where I am now. The "active" one. I'm not going to name her, because she already knows who she is (I think) and I'd rather keep it that way. Maybe if I move, I'll divulge. But until then, just know that I've got one now and am relishing in all that she does for me. As little as she may think it is.
I still have contact with all but two and I have been searching and will continue to do so until I find them. They're that important to me.
Thank You Fine Women of my life.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Blessed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
great post! I enjoyed it
Post a Comment