Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's ALL About the Details.

*I just comentated this whole post and something weird happened. SOOOOO HATIN on Blogger right now!!!!!! *Insert angry eyebrows here* I guess I should be glad that it didn't delete the pictures!!

OK....back to redoing the words.

It really is about the details, I've since discovered. And details this cake had! Originally I was going to do a "tea party" themed cake and it wasn't until I was online "cheating" for ideas that I found this cake. I've tried to locate that link to post here, but it was good enough to change my mind instantly and go with this instead. I spent A LOT of time coloring, rolling, shaping, rolling, coloring some more, molding, and drying.

It took me TWO DAYS of preping for this cake till late hours, but I'm not complaining! I had quiet time at night and LOVED it!
More prepping....
The top layer of this cake was chocolat filled with buttercream and mini chocolate chips.  I didn't get pictures of that (i really don't know why! Maybe because my camera BROKE!) and I was having to use Mykael's lower resolution pics. Which explains the yellow coloring and burry shots.
For the bottom cake, I used rice crispy treats molded in a spring form pan. X2. If you notice the middle...there's a line. It was too squatty for my likes so I made another and mashed them together. Looks good, huh? I thought so too!
At this point, I was not liking the colors or how it was turning out. It looked too cartoony to me. (as weird as that sounds). But it was now like 9pm the night before the "delivery" and I just didn't have the time to change my mind.
Did I mention I had to roll? A LOT!? So much so that it just became a blur. *No blurry running pics for me, Lish. But I've got blurring rolling pics.
I didn't get anymore pics of the "putting together" phase. Maybe because it was so late. I was tired. My camera was broken. Borrowing someone elses. Or maybe I fell asleep at this point and the fondant fairies came to my rescue and finished it for me. I'm going with the latter cause I never would've thought I could make a cake that looked like this!.......
*The rest of the pics were taken by the recipient herself with her awesome camera and incredible picture taking skills!
The cartoony-ness had evaporated at this point and I absolutely LOVED it!
The roses turned out well. But the big one here is cracky because the fondant dried too fast as I was "gathering" it. Oh well, can't be perfect.
There's so much to look at on which adds to the awesomeness! Like I said, it's all about the details.
Oh! Those fondant fairies. So Silly! HOppy Birthday! Get it? HAHAHAHAHA
It wasn't until I put my floating flower wires in that I felt it was complete! (I had to take them out so it would fit in my fridge!) There's just something about small pretty things floating in the air that make things so magical . If we all had floating things around our head we would be a happier people (in my opinion). Make mine sparkly please. Thanks!

Thank you to Lindsay for the endless knowledge and massive collection of cake making tools. This cake would NOT exist if it weren't for you. YOU ROCK!!!!!

3 comments:

Gwen said...

I. Love. It. All I can say is "WOW!" I have a couple of birthdays coming up and I'm feeling so inferior on the cake-making front. It is super cute, Aud!

Lindsay said...

You are very welcome. You can use my knowledge and equipment any time. The cake turned out super cute! I am still amazed by your little frog. It was amazing!

Jessica and Tom said...

This is way cute! I love it!! You are talented. I'm impressed you find time to do this. It must take a lot of work. But the result is definitely worth it.