Sunday, August 8, 2010

Girl's Camp

I think I was more excited for Mykael to go to Girl's Camp than she was. I couldn't wait to take her shopping for all her camping gear, but she has been so busy this summer I had to wait till two days before she was to leave. I kept having memories of going to camp myself and wishing she would have the same amazing memories as I!

Ok, she WAS excited to go. Just not as much as me. We got her all she needed and then a little more just incase. ;o) Turned out she didn't really need too much because this girl's camp was pretty nice. Immaculate Cabins, bathrooms, showers, FRIDGE!!!!, electricity and power outlets in the cabins and enough nature and wildlife to throw you into that Naturistic (word?) world with the convienances of home.

The girls could've gotten all dolled up with curly hair and make-up if t they wanted to. BUT apparently, tradition is, no one takes a shower. The. Whole. Week.! Mykael did NOT like that tradition but to avoid any possible (playful) harrassment, she complied. Although she did put her foot down when the "tradition" of ratting ones hair to the point of Motherhood Cringement was achieved. THANK GOODNESS! When I got up there, a bunch of girls ran up and my first question was, "Oh my! Are we going for dreadlocks now?" SERIOUSLY! It was crazy. My sympathies to the mommas upon discovery of what laid ahead when they saw their daughters after a week.


Back to the cabins...Very nicely built. Plenty of room for a lot of girls! Next year, Mykael's going to get a bottom bunk. She didn't like going up and down so much.

This gives you an idea of what they are like. In the back it closes off for leaders, but our ward had two cabins so leaders were in one. Girls in the other. Worked well I think. Each bed area had its own window.

Mykael woke up one morning and looking out her window saw a momma deer and her baby. She loved it!
At another time she was having daily scripture study and being off to her self somewhere quiet she was greeted by a cute little forest critter. One that explored her feet AND THEN ventured up her leg and onto her lap!!! It sniffed her scriptures and journal then once satisfied, scurried away. For those who may not know, she's obsessed with animals! Like really! Obsessed. So for her to have this experience only cemented her likeness for them and the outdoors. The girl wants to be a Vet when she's older. I think she's got the Dr. Doolittle touch already.

The morning we were to leave, we were cleaning up camp and loading things into the trailer. Not 30 ft away, a momma moose and her two babies came sauntering into camp. Feasting on the sweet lush vegetation that surrounded the camp. Girls were so excited and standing on tables and shouting to others to come see. Momma would look at us while we stared at her. Leaders continuously warned the girls to stay in camp and not to aggrivate the momma. But she didn't seem to care. Two different worlds that never collided but instead only observed. Pretty cool experience as well.

Sorry, it's the best I could do with standing on a table and zooming in without breaking the barrier that separated her and I. I know what it's like to be a protecting mother. Not Pretty!

The canyon where we were. Gorgeous!
I wasn't a leader, but I was asked (with much interest voiced, by me) to go up. So on Bishop's night I was "needed" to help in a spiritual program that was based on Christ's life. I can't tell you just how excited I was to be there with Mykael for that. Exactly the kind of bonding that I've been looking for with her. I decided to stay the night as well and help break camp the next morning. Again...SO glad I did. Mykael and I had a good time driving home together talking about her week.
Next year, she has said that she would "absolutely" go back.
SUCCESS!!!
p.s. Thank you to the youth/leaders that helped make it such a great time.

0 comments: