Some time last year I recieved a speeding ticket and was given the option to go to traffic school to keep it off my record. I accepted and it turned out to be the best thing I could do in becoming a more responsible driver. (As I'm typing this...I'm totally making myself sound like I'm this erratic crazy driver which I am NOT. I'm just saying that there is stuff out there they don't teach you in driver's ed.) With this class I learned that, much thought has gone into deciding where what speeds limits should go. The speed in which the car is going in relation to first impact (lets say, a CHILD). At 25 miles an hour your child has more of a chance of survival. (Serious condition, but survival no less!) Even just 30 miles an hour will kill your child! What an eye opener that was for me. Since then I'm probably making the car behind me very annoyed by actually going the speed limit. (We need to slow down anyways....life is too short.)
Thursday, August 7, 2008
It actually works!
I'm sure there are many mothers of you out there that hate the traffic that drives past your house when your children are out playing. They could be going 10 miles an hour, but that still seems too fast for my comfort. Unfortunately, my street is not a 5 mile an hour speeding zone, so I've taken it upon myself to bring those speeders down in gear. I live on a curve and for some reason, taking curves at a higher speed is prefered among the drivers out there. With a park across the street from our house there have been times when the kids have wanted to cross.
Of course I'd LOVE to go out there with the largest stop sign I could find, wearing a brightest orange vest, tooting the loudest police whistle that's made and paint lines across the road, but that probably wouldn't go over very well with the city. (And quite frankly, I'd rather sit in my lawn chair under my shade tree with a nice cold glass of coke and enjoy a good book.)
The compromise of these two is.... this!
I found this at wall-mart for about $5.00-$7:00. (A small price to pay for your child's safety.) I wasn't sure if it was legal to just go and place it out in the middle of the road, BUT...a police car actually drove by and didn't stop. I would assume that if it wasn't ok, he would've stopped and asked me to move it. After initially placing it, I stood in my yard to watch. To my great surprise, the first car that past saw it, the red lights came on and slowed instantly, and every car after that. They then would look around for children. My regret is that I don't have 10 of these things to space the whole length of the curve and down the street a little bit. Until I can do that....I am satisfied with this one. I HIGHLY recommend you purchase one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment