Thursday, April 7, 2011

Jelly bean trees and candycoated sunflower seeds

While I was busy in the kitchen one afternoon, Eli came in to me and announced he wanted to plant some seeds. My garden is far from being ready to plant anything and I really didn't want to dig any out for him to play with. So I instantly thought of the the bag of black jelly beans I have hidden in the cupboard and handed him one. I told him it was a jellybean tree seed and to go plant that. SO....he did.

 But he decided he was going to need some "furtilizer" and asked for a bottle of sprinkles. Then Ashton wanted in on the action and noticed the candycoated sunflower seeds I had used on my fishbowl cake last year. (They were old. It was time to plant them.) And he needed plant food as well and grabbed another bottle of sprinkles.
 For some reason, it attracted the attention of all the other kids and it turned into quite an event. Mykael picked the spot. She ordered Jaden to dig the holes (in socks, mind you) and the planting ensued.
 I REALLY don't know WHY she picked the middle of the lawn to dig the holes and by the time I caught it, the holes were already there! Whatever.


 I think the sunflower seeds actually look kind of magical. Like they'll grow into some pretty magnificent and I'll be able to climb up a huge stock and retrieve my wildest dreams.
 And the "plant food"....genius! Which I myself did not come up with.

Mykael had high intentions to keep this little fantastical event going and even went back the next day and stuck sticks in between the clump of grass and the untouched portion to make it look like they were "sprouting". Then by the time easter would come she would have retrieved bigger ones with leaves on them and tied eggs filled with jelly beans. Unfortunately....the "sprouts" turned into makeshift swords and guns and now litter my back yard. Or maybe they've made it to the wood pile for later marshmellow roasting.

0 comments: