Monday, April 11, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy or (savory scones)

Here ya go Lish....the recipies you have deprived yourself and family of for HOW MANY YEARS!???!

*Biscuits Supreme  (there's really nothing supreme about them. That part bugs me but that's what they're called)
2 C. White flour (or more)
4t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2T honey (I use more cause I like mine sweeter)
1/2 C. vegetable oil
2/3 C milk
1egg

Mix dry ingrediants together. Then add wet. (This recipie calls for a lot of oil so I usually add more flour). Mix and then knead until well incorporated. Roll out to desired thickness (1/2inch-ish). Cut out with your butterfly cookie cutter (or the boring round one.). Place on ungreased baking sheet and cook till golden brown (8-10 min).


Chipped Beef Gravy

2T. Butter
2T. Flour
1C. milk
salt and pepper to taste
Cut dried beef. (you can find it in a jar by the canned meat (like tuna) section of your grocery store) Don't forget to save the jar to drink out like mom, grandma, and now, I, do. :oD

Melt butter in pan and add flour. Stir to make a thick paste. Add milk stirring constantly *whisk those unsightly clumps away. Add the beef and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
Gravy will thicken as it cools.

Note: This recipie is for 1 c of gravy. (dumb considering you just made a pan of biscuits!) Good luck trying to be satisfied  with just one cup. SO....I do about 4T butter 4T flour and pour in milk till I think it will be enough to feed my mini army here. If it doesn't thicken...I had more flour (causing it to clump and become ugly). But still tastes fantastic! 

Another Note: this recipie (minus the beef) is called a "rue" (I think that's how it's spelled) and is used as a basis for A LOT of different recipies. Instead of dried beef, add 1C parmesan and you've got alfredo sauce! Make it more soupy (less flour) add steamed broccli and you've got an awesome homemade creme of broccoli soup! Add cheddar cheese and you've got a yummy cheesy gravy. The skies the limit. Be creative and let me know how it comes out!

p.s. don't burn it! Please.

Anyone else know of some great recipies using a rue?

3 comments:

Alisha said...

I just never got around to asking Grandma for it. Thanks!

Adrienne said...

my g-ma always used to spell it so it is ingrained in my head "roux"
I also use it for macaroni and cheese!!

Alisha said...

PS - Is this really Grandma's biscut recipe?