It's easy to point the finger and say, "I wish that person was more understanding." "I wish that person wouldn't talk like that." "I wish that person would just listen to what I have to say." or "I wish that person would see their potential". But looking behind that finger, just isn't possible because it doesn't "bend" that way.
I was talking to someone very dear who is a huge supporter, somewhat of a life coach. In turn I try and do the same for her. We were talking one afternoon, discussing the goals we had in our life. And in particular, we were talking about putting ourselves out there for advertising. She was telling me about people who write on their websites "about them". And some of the stuff they came up with was so far out there it was almost ridiculous. We laughed a little about it and then I had remembered something I had read along the lines of, act the way you want others to act. And the idea was that your example would rub off onto them and they would begin to act in that manner. (I may be slaughtering that concept but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.) I asked her, "Why not be "Extrordinary" or "Unique" or "Amazing" or "Gifted" and even "Successful". As fantastical they seem. Why not?" You can still have all these things and yet be grounded, accepting, selfless as well. Or at least that's the goal.
SO we challenged each other to sit down and write a list. Of all the ridiculous things we wanted to be. I went home and started writing my list of things. I guess you could call them goals, that I wanted to eventually become and/or work towards. I categorized them into three different....uh...categories? Personal, business, and relationships. To be successful in my life, I needed to write down exactly what it was I wanted to strive for. I love making cakes and eventually I want to have a thriving cake business. In the meantime....it will take babysteps to achieve that. Personally...I want to try to be someone that has more positive than negative in my life. In this day and age, there is A LOT of hard things happening to people. I being one of millions, I'm sure. And it's REALLY easy to allow those things to bring you down. Depress you. And make you feel helpless and discouraged. That alone gets really old. Really fast. So I'm going to try and be more positive. Or at least focus on the positive while I ride the negative out. Things will happen in my life that I will have no control over. But it's up to me how I will react to it. Easier said than done.
As far as relationships...I've focused on things that I wanted to improve on to have relationships that were remembered fondly rather than with resentment or regret.
After I wrote this big list down. It was almost like it became a living thing. That life had been blown into it and it started happening. As odd as that sounds, just hear me out. All these things were always swimming around in my mind wishing for the day that it would just come out and manifest itself and I'd be changed. Just like that. It wasn't until they were written on paper that it became more real. I was more aware of what I was doing or how I was reacting. I was actually accomplishing what I have wanted to do without having to motivate myself. I've had setbacks and days of laziness. But having the list to read, re-energizes it all over again and I can slowly and eventually mark off everything on my list.
I just wanted to share that with you. And maybe you'll sit down and write a list of who you want to become. Why not?
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Becoming who you want others to be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
British sweet foods 101
Biscuits are what you would call cookies (cookies to us are just a kind of biscuit, the thick crumbly kind with chocolate chips) We have a hole assortment of brands and most supermarkets have an isle dedicated to selling them. They are bought for the primary purpose of dunking in our cups of tea (thats British tea with milk only) and are a staple British food. (much more so than crumpets or scones) What you made and called a biscuit I think we would call a savory scone.. what you call a scone we would call a rock cake. what you call an English muffin we don't actually have. You don't have what we DO call a muffin. you don't have any real crumpets and cup cakes to you are fairy cakes to us. muffins to you are fucking massive american sized fairy cakes to us. as for creps, we call pancakes, as for pancakes we call Scottish pancakes. soda we call fizzy pop, soda to us is powder that you put in cakes or bulimics brush their teeth with. brownies and donuts ad bagels we got from america so they keep the name. Maybe you could try baking some English styled snacks some time though i wouldn't recommended attempting crumpets.... you need a stone oven for that.
:)
That is a worthy post my dear. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment