Thursday, March 17, 2011

Nojo Plum Dandy

This was for my best friend's (since childhood) baby shower. I've been SOO VERY excited for this becaue it's her first. And a LONG time coming. I told her to pick out a nursery crib set and she picked "Nojo Plum Dandy". Google that and you'll see it. I absolutely LOVED the color scheme! It just screamed Angelle.

 The dots around the edges of the flowers is so her as well. I see dots used in this manner and my thoughts go to "point-ism", a form of art. (I don't even know if that's what that's called.) But we made pictures with just dots in elementary school. She's an artist and so that's where I make the comparison.

 I knew for the bottom tier, I wanted to do stripes. So the decision of making the stripes coming up and over or stay just on the sides, had me staring at a plain purple cake for awhile.
 So, I wove it instead. Turned out really cool! But kind of tricky seeing that I needed all the strips positioned before being able to weave. And for those who know....fondant dries pretty fast!
 I think I pulled it off and I'm loving the outcome! I marked where I was going to have my next tier so I wasn't using an unnecessary amount of fondant. I also "staked" this one because this cake was HEAVY! It just prevented the top layers from smooshing the lower one.
 I had ordered new font cutters and it's SO much fun have a different style of lettering to use. Totally matches the style of the cake.
Last shot! Really liking the offset squares. Made it more fun and not so formal.

I had made twisted wire to poke down into the cake (you can see two here) but I didn't put them in. The cake still needs to be refrigerated till the party and I needed to make sure it would fit. She'll add them later.  oxoxox Angelle

1 comments:

Affirmation Two said...

another stunning creation, the weaving looks fantastic. the name of the technique your searching for is pointillism,, most famously used by Georges Seurat who was a mathematician more than an artist. I remember doing that in school also.