I finally sold a cake. I was pretty excited about it. I'm hoping that word of mouth spreds faster than what has been happening.
It was (obviously) for a 1 yr olds birthday. And I've noticed that this kind of combination is pretty popular. So I made a family cake and a wrecking cake. (The one and ONLY thing I would chang is the top layer. I would use black fondant rather than white to cover it and then used white and pink dots. It needs more individuality between the two layers. But for a one year old...I guess it's ok.)
I didn't cover the little one's cake with fondant because, well, it's fondant. Harder to get to the middle. This way, the hands will grab and squish and smother.
The preps were super fun to make. I love making flowers. Especially this kind. AND...these are my three favorite colors!
Cake: 1 layer- triple chocolate and butter cream. 2nd layer- "confetti"/white cake with sprinkles. Babies- "confetti".
*To answer a question about the icing. Mercy, it's called fondant. It's a stiff, pliable, frosting that you can mold, roll out, and form anyway you'd like. It's made from glucose and confectioner's sugar till it feels like salt water taffy or playdoh. When it dries, it gets hard and holds its shape. In some of my other cake postings, I show you how to color it, and do all this crazy fun stuff with it. Most people like the look of it because it's SO smooth. But to eat it...not that great. Most people usually peel it off and just eat the cake. I use a buttercream frosting to "glue" the fondant to the cake. So you at least get some decent icing to go with the cake. For sticking my small pieces to the cake, I use royal icing. (beat up egg white and confectioners sugar. Till fluffy. Dries rock hard!)
3 comments:
woohoo! congratulations!
i've just gone through looking at all your cakes. a lego batman cake? can you pull off anything more impressive? my fave is the autumn squirrel one. love the colours. So you get a lot of left over 'sculptures' after everyones had their slice then? how much did you sell it for?
I need one more baby to yet to rival your collection.
how exciting! very good work. I love this one...colors etc.
Wow! I'm super impressed!! I think my favorite is the jungle one. SO cute! Great job Audrey!!! Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment