Wednesday, October 20, 2010

How I made a Lego Batman Cake......

I started with the people. Because of the thickness, the more days they had to dry, the better.

 Robbin
 Joker
 Batman
 Batgirl's head


 Ta-da
 Lemon juice and food coloring
 Painting the windows

 We're going for the "building-looks-on-fire" image....It'll come together later.

 One of my favorites, the gutter!
 My all time favorite...trash bag!
 Gluing a thingys that hold the gutter to the wall.
 Tiny details....or big fingers. (like the color on my fingers from coloring fondant?)
 Trash can
 Trash can lid! Hee hee
 :o)
 Most (not all) the embellishments for the cake.
 Ok, so I was messing around with the royal icing and I had seen this done once (on a much more professional and perfect level) and wanted to try it myself. You drape the frosting from an edge and the let it dry. Then do the next layer and so on. Once it drys, you're good but if bumped it shatters!
 The hard part!
 The yummy part
 Squaring it all up.
 Cheeser. Gotta have proof I DID in fact spend this ridiculous amount of time making the preps.
 I was having to freeze and refreeze this cake. It just kept thawing out too fast! So much so that by the time I got the fondant on it, it started drooping and sagging and looking distorted. BUT...it's Gotham..nothing's perfect in Gotham. Right?
 Rice Crispies weren't a problem at all!


 So I bought this "impression mat" for brick pattern. L.O.V.E IT!!!! Totally made the whole cake!

 When I first cooked the cake and "assembled" it, it was WAY too small, so I rushed to the store for rice crispy stuff. Bottom level is just that, while the top (and soon to be shown second layer) was the cake.
 Angelle came over today to see me mess with fondant and try it out for herself. I totally took advantage of her artist abilities and steady hands and had her paint the cracks! PERFECT-O!
 Loving it even more now! Even the droppiness!

 Close-up of Catwoman and my awesome kicked in trash can!
 Batgirl
 Perfect imperfections!
The End!

6 comments:

Alisha said...

I was wondering if that tape measure was an official cake decorating tool? Tee hee he.

Spectacular. The backdrop is a nice effect too. Great job!

Adrienne said...

very VERY cool! Nice work. So you use the royal icing for "glue" and the food color (paste or liquid?) and lemon juice for painting? I've never been motivated enough to look it up. But I guess I should know. What a lucky b-day boy to have such a great cake.

Sarah said...

You are amazing!!!

Audrey said...

Adrie: I do use the royal icing as "glue" although you can take half fondant and half water and desolve the fondant. It makes "gum glue". Works REALLY well! But my patience is non-exisitant so I use the icing. With gum glue it doesn't show at all. Gum glue IS better.
Mixing the lemon juice with the food coloring (I use the gel) sets the color, so it doesn't smear or run.

Jessica and Tom said...

Another job well done. You are so clever.

Unknown said...

You did an awesome job, even after seeing what your model was.