At the beginning of the year, I was stressing big time how I needed to plant a garden this year. To the point that it would wake me up in the night and I would just think about all that would entail in puttin one it. We didn't plant one last year so the crab grass just grew in and it was like there was never a garden. I know I've expressed my hatred with crabgrass and how hard it is to get rid of. I've accepted the fact that it's just going to be the grass I have around here and it's actually not that bad with it's green and lush. Till not as soft as Tom's grass but I can't walk on it with barefeet.
Anyways, we rototilled it so we could actually pull out the grass and spent day after day after day after day......etc weeding all the grass out. Actually Jared did a majority of it, but there quite a few family weeding nights that took place.
FINALLY we got to the point of planting and started planning out the layout. Jared wanted to attempt growing a Giant Pumpkin so he planted that in the rocks out front. Three plants and one watermelon. They are doing well so far, but by the time harvest comes, I don't know if he'll have the giant pumpkin he's planning on having. Definitely keep you updated for that.
We planted regular peas and snow peas. These are my snow peas. The regular ones are pretty much done.
Jared found purple beans and planted those. SO glad he did cause the flowers are beautiful and the beans themselves look pretty cool. The bummer part is that when cooked, they turn green. So you have to eat them fresh to enjoy the color. They taste just like a regular bean.
I think I had 12 tomatoe plants varying in roma's, cherry, and big beefers. Should've given them more space. I only had 3 cages and was going to buy more, but never got around to it. It wasn't until I went out and they were growing into this giant mound of tomatoes that I decided to separate them. We bout these 1x2's and designed these "cages". Next year, I'm going to do something taller and more supportive. But it's the trial and error that cause growth and learning.
I've been praying for a good sized pear crop because last year was pretty sad. Only got about 2 boxes worth. And this year is proving to be bigger. Not as big as I hoped, but still big. Blessed for whatever I get! Unfortunately the tree has become diseased (not affecting the fruit) but to get rid of the blight it has, will result in a major tree trimming. Like stumpy trimming. (at least that's what Jared was told to do.)
Ash and Eli looking for bush beans. I'm canning these suckers into Grandma L's Dill Beans. YUM! I thought the purple beans would look super cool in the jars but not going to happen with them turning green in boiling water.
Banana peppers. They are doing so well! We didn't know what to expect from them taste wise, but think of a sweet yellow bell pepper.
I'm hoping for a fatter grape this year because I've been more deligent and watering them lots. If not, I'm not worried about quantity. They never let me down.
A little watermelon. So cute. We have about 4 watermelon plants planted around my property a cantalope, and some other melon. At least Jared didn't go crazy like he did that one year!
Tomatoes all caged up. Don't use chicken wire. (I was experimenting) I'm going to have to cut these ones loose when they turn! So I staked them with the wood for when I do have to pull them. They'll still be supported.
Cucumbers. These are going CRAZY!! I've got more bloosoms than what I know I can use. So this will be interesting. Perhaps the kids will have a cucumber stand this fall.
2 comments:
You might be able to keep your beans purple by shocking them. Before you cook (or can) them make an ice bath by placing ice water in a large bowl and then set a collander in it. Boil your beans until they are the color that you want then quickly put them in the ice bath. Then continue with your recipe. Purple dill beans would be awesome! Good luck with your garden!
I'm impressed and jealous of that garden of yours. Did you plant the pumpkins out front? Good idea for that rock covered space.
Post a Comment