Saturday, June 13, 2009

Race Day!!!

Wow! I didn't think this day would EVER come! But once it did, I had to keep calm and not get giddy like a school girl. I was excited in a non-competitive way. I got a phone call yesterday morning from Angela (sister) asking if her and Tom (brother) could come down and "cheer me on"? Of course!!!! How cool of them to even WANT to do that. Then I got to thinking...and then asked, "are you running it too!?" "We're coming to cheer you on." After a lot of dancing around the question and not coming right out and saying yes or no, I was convinced that they would run it too. AWESOME!

It wasn't until we went to pick up mine and my dad's running "packet" at the mall, that Tom then gave his name and got his packet as well. I KNEW IT! Sneaky aren't they? And then Ang disappeared to register. She decided she wanted to run it too... THAT MORNING. No she hadn't trained in any sort of way. The only running that she's done is from patient to patient at work. We'll get to her results later.

So those of you who follow me on facebook, THAT was my surprise.

We start out by having a BIG noodle and meaty dinner the night before. Stocking up on carbs and protein while consuming rediculous amounts of water. (Thanks to the "professional's" advice, Alisha, who did awesome on her 10K this morning as well. Looking forward to those pics!)



See? We did eat it.



every last bite!

...almost! (excuse me for a sec. while I go kiss that cheek!)
Which brings us to race day. After a very restless night. (Dylan was awake from 4 to 5:30am.) 6:30 came REALLY fast after that. We got everyone ready and headed out. Of course you join the mass of runners, and start stretching. Some even getting group shots.

Uhh Dad? group photo?

Ok, stretch... then pose.

Mixing business with pleasure. (If you want to call this pleasure)

There we go, much better group shot!

Thanks to grandma for keeping and eye (or more) on all these monkeys while we skidaddled on down the road.

GUNSHOT!

and the crowd slowly begins to move forward
we make our way to the starting line and then book it! (Ok, not really. You can't. Too many people crowded still.)

See you later! (I hope)

Ok...brief tangent here.
Tom is an excellent runner. Always has been since high school track. He decided a week ago that he was going to do this. Saturday was the first day of running for his "training" after a 3 year break. He, for some odd reason but VERY grateful he did, decided to stay by my side the entire race. I can't tell you what that meant to me. He could've easily breezed on up to the front of this pack and been done within seconds. (ok, not really but still...) Everytime I started to walk...he said, "keep going. Don't stop." After about 2 miles, I finally said, "Tom, just tell me to shut up and run." SO...He did! And I kept whining. You're awesome Tom. THANK YOU!
Ok, back to the race. Finishing in order of appearance.

Dad. with a time of 29:20

A look that I have found to be consistent through the rest of us.

And then we get happy.

Next in line and tired as heck...Angela with a time of 30:33

AND...she's happy again. Love this pic. Sorry it's so dark.



Tom is the only one that doesn't make that face...
Tom's time 34:59
Mine 34:56 (NOT 45 MINUTES! Thank you again, Tom!)

Okay, yes he does make that face. It just takes a min.

Checking results

Dad placed 3rd in his age division. HOW COOL IS THAT!? (I knew he would. ;o)

And we are Through. Finished. Complete. DONE. Over with.
Thoughts:
* Apparently, you DON'T need to train in any sort of way to run a 5k but still get a good time. Thanks anyways for listening to my whines, complaints, and "issues" during the past 3 weeks.
* This was the first time I actually accomplished something in my lifetime that I'm (personally) proud of myself for completing.
* I WILL run again. Even after running today.
* The best support you can ever get, are from those closest to you. Even if they're a couple thousand miles away.
*God bless the water people at mile marker 1 1/2!
* I think I (with Alisha's help) turned this family into that of a running team.
* As we were finishing, the marathoners were finishing as well. They are my heros today. To go through 3 hrs (avg.) of running. I'll cheer you on no matter what! PROMISE!
* I'm kind of sad to end this chapter (via blogging) in my life. But for those of you considering doing this somewhere else. DO IT! You'll NEVER regret it!
xox
audrey

7 comments:

Alisha said...

Hooray for Team Lewis!

Great times everyone and nice work. The hardest road block of running is just getting out the door and you all did that this morning. Way to go.

I also had "that look" on my face when I finished my 10K this morning. It is a look of relief, exhaustion, and (believe it or not) accomplishment.

Next time I am out west we'll have to run together because I want to be there too.

Alisha said...

Okay I just went through all the pictures...

Tom - nice guns and shorts. It completes your look to run in asics, under armour, and flanel. You might be onto something here.

Angela - I have that same watch but in blue. We always have had the same taste in watches haven't we?

Aud - the running skirt is hot, though I may never get one, it looks good on your long legs. Your next pair of running shoes need to be asics because you were the only one today in another brand.

Dad - I am positive your legs appreciate the vitamin D from the sun these days in those running shorts.

Alisha said...

Oh and where was mom? Did you get a photo of the support crew? Thanks to mom for watching the kids!

Jessica and Tom said...

Congrats! I am proud of you. You did an excellent job. It always feels good to accomplish a goal. Funny after I read Alisha's comment about Tom's guns I had to take a second look at the picture then I realized she was talking about is lovely arms, not an actual gun! You can see where I could make the mistake. Congratulations again.

Gwen said...

Whahoo for all of you!

Adrienne said...

You are awesome! What a great team you all made. I have never wanted to run something like this but I admire you for all the hard work you put into accomplishing a goal. And that is great that you had all the support you that you did! Thanks for keeping us posted throughout it all...

Sarah said...

YEAH AUD!!! Way to go I am envious, You looked fabulous out there!