Monday, May 25, 2009

What ever happened to

....Roughing it? On my way home today, I joined the masses in route to their various residences after a long weekend. The only thing missing from my vehicle was a HUGE 5th
wheel/camper trailer hitched to the back.

(It looked like this behind me, as well.)



As I sat in this long precession of holiday weekenders, I started to reminisce (sp?) on the family camping trips we took as a family. The back of the car was PACKED, except for one small opening where dad could see out the back. (Now as a parental driver...I don't think that small opening did any good. I still need the whole rear window to see enough to be comfortable.) The clothes were all packed in the canvas duffle bags (who has duffle bag still, anyways? Don't answer that dad...I've seen yours in your room.) The sleeping bags stacked as neat as firewood stacked outside a cabin, and who knows HOW else we fit in all the camping and cooking gear, that a family of 8 would need. (Thank goodness seatbelt laws weren't as strict then, than what they are now. We would've been hidden underneath all that 'stuff'.)





So as I'm staring down this long line of campers. My thought was, HOW can one enjoy the true experience of the outdoors, while being "couped" (yes, that's sarcasm) up in one of those? Have you been in one of those? I HAVE...WOW! Those things are nicer than my own home! You've got all the comforts and luxuries anyone could ever dream.





As nice as it would be to sleep on a posturepedic pillowtop mattress and have solid oak cupboards/cabinets to put my clothes and food in, I think I'll take the rock in my back with wet dew on top of my sleepin bag any day. It's what I know and have grown to love. Plus who wants to be vaccuming all those pine needles up when I could be laying in a hammock under some big trees and listening to a babbling brook instead of a generator. Don't get me wrong, you camper trailer lovers....It's just a matter of opinion. I don't hate you for it. Just trying to understand. So please enlighten me.





Which brings me to my question....How, you readers of mine, do you prefer to camp? And what can you NOT live without? Me? I need a warm blanket to snuggle up into, around the fire.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

ummm....I prefer not to camp! I do see your point though...I do have found memories-like you- of the family car packed to the limit with one space clear to lookout...and camping the way you describe it!

Jessica and Tom said...

I think you are absolutely nuts!! You were brain washed by your parents! Why in the world would you prefer to sleep on the ground with rocks in your back not to mention the freezing cold nights! I would much prefer my own bed.