Thursday, October 9, 2008

Jon and Elbow have 'tank-mates'

During one of my "breaks" (time that was spent all by myself), Jared took all the kids to the store and came home with "friends" for Jon and Elbow. THREE of them! I don't think he takes into consideration the amount of space needed for fish to survive and the little tank we had was already pushing it for just Jon and Elbow. And the new roomies were bigger in length. I figured, that we'd see what happened (actually thought that it would just speed up the process of their short lived lives....and unbelieveably, they are ALL still very much alive and well. At first Jon and Elbow showed there anger of having to share by nipping at their tails. I was starting to get a little worried because the tails were starting to look a bit tattered. I was considering buying a new tank just for "Aaron, Omner, and Himni." (Jared named them on the way home.) I guess they eventually gave in to having to accept what now invaded their territory and learned to appreciate them. The "triplets" (it's easier to say that when referring to them, than it is to say all their names.) are kind of boring and give Jon and Elbow something to pester when bored. They don't nip anymore, but will chase them every now and then. Kind of reminds me of herding cattle. J & E are very good at it.

Last night, they all moved into a new tank because their other one cracked. It's really nice!!! Not much bigger, but the triplets actually swim more, so I'm assuming they like it.

As I was trying to catch them to put in the new bowl, I put them in glass cups until I was ready to introduce them to their upgraded tank. Himni, was alone in a glass and I'm thinking that it was too full of water because he was no longer in it when I went to get him. I panicked and ran around the counter to look for him on the floor. There he was flopping around on the floor! OH NO! I , carefully as I could without ripping a fin off, peeled him of the ground and quickly placed him back into the cup. There he went,... belly up. Yikes!....he definitely wasn't going to last. I decided to keep him in the cup (Now with less water!) to 'monitor' him over night and see if he was still alive. He would be able to be moved to his new home once I knew his sick almost dead carcus wouldn't contaminate the others. (I actually had intentions of sending him flushing after I was finished cleaning the previous tank.) Jared kept poking him down into the water because he just kept floatin' up. After I was finished with all the rest, I checked on Himni. Miraculously....he was VERY much alive. I couldn't believe it! We decided that he was going to make it and put him in with the fresh clean water and all that "oxygen" (bubbles). What a glorious reunion the triplets had. (ok, not really but i'm sure he was happy to be with his buddies.)
ALL THOSE BUBBLES! A fishes dream. The striped fish here, is Elbow. The last stripe nearest to the tail is thin.

I have taken the time to name and identify each one for your enjoyment. (And because I had nothing else to do.)

Jon- (Tiger Barb) Fat with wide stripe

Elbow- (Tiger Barb) Thin with skinny stripe

Aaron- Biggest fish of that kind (I don't know what kind they are. Bonnie says they are a "darter fish".)

Omner- Smallest fish of that kind

Himni- Middle sized fish of that kind (And with a couple of scales missing because of the tramatic event that occured during "moving".)
Jon is the one hiding behind the filter tube. But you will notice that his stripe is thicker than Elbow's.
The triplets from top to bottom; Omner, Aaron, and Himni.
Stayed tuned for future stories!!!

3 comments:

Ang said...

I am totally rooting for Himni! I love fish and they look spectacular in their new fresh clean tank! Do the kids ever just watch them?

Jessica and Tom said...

I had a fish that had a similar incident but unfortunately he did not make it!! You are pretty amazing to save him.

Sarah said...

Audrey, I love your blog. It makes me laugh. The John and Elbow saga is very entertaining. Your family is just too cute!