Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring Fever

Being here in the northern part of Utah, we have enjoyed the snow this winter, but boy are we anxious to see the buds, green grass, and feel the warm sun. I planted this primrose last year and it was only suppose to be an annual. It was even pretty scrappy looking when it was growing last year, I really didn't think that it would make it. BUT, much to my enjoyment, it has grown back and making up for lost time. I just hate the location cause you can't see it unless you knew it was there. But it seems to happy and don't want to destroy the beauty that it has become. So if you come visit, ask and i'll point it out to you.


When the weather warmed up into the 70's, we took our cue and headed to the store for supplies. We decided that we were going to plant a garden and in order to do that, we had to till up part of the back yard. We found one to borrow and Jared went at it. We plowed quite a plot and then the next day it snowed!!!

Talk about raining on our parade. We had even gotten A LOT of different seeds including purple carrots and purple beans, habenero peppers (I have NO idea why he got those), and other exoctic looking things. I keep pondering in my mind, "how am i going to process all these things when we have to harvest and i don't even know what the heck they are.")


I think my husband has a hard time comprehending exactly what the outcome will be with all these different kinds of things, so he planted 49 melon plants (watermelon, melons, honeydew, cantolope)in a 15ft. by 2 ft. space and wants to plant more. I figured that instead of trying to reason with him and explain the concept of vine plants, I'll just let him do his melon thing, and i'll do my vegetable thing.


Since it snowed, i was still looking forward to planting so i got a mini greenhouse and planted seeds inside. Mykael planted her flower seeds and only 3 days later, already sprouting. I've got them back in an unused room. (Out of sight, out of mind....thanks to my dear son Eli. He did find them this morning, but i told him that they were baby plants and were sleeping. SO....he'll go in there, but very quietly. (After i discovered the sprouts, the whole fam came in to see. I had just finished telling them that the seeds were sleeping when Jared sneezed and Ash said, "Mom, dad just woke them up." We all got a good laugh out of that.)


Now that it's starting to warm up again, we will be able to tackle the garden once again and finish the planting. Wish us luck. It's going to be a lot of hard work to have a successful one.

1 comments:

Jessica and Tom said...

Wow. I can't believe you can be outside with swimming suits on! It has only been over 70 twice that I know of here. We are having a slow spring. Your primrose is beautiful. I'm pretty sure it is a perennial plant. It should come back each year, but if you are to move it I would wait until fall.