Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oh my Oh my Oh Dinosaurs!

This one was really fun to make. But took a lot of "research". I don't know too much about dinosaurs other than books we may have somewhere around here. My boys never went through a dinosaur phase like a lot of little boys do.

 I wasn't quite sure how to mold a dino...but I think I figured it out without it looking too odd. "Stick some spikes on it and call it a dinosaur". "Yea, I think that's what God said." A conversation I had with birthday boys dad. :o)
 After I applied the lava, Mykael suggested I had orange and yellow to make it look like a fire. So...I did. It's a cute fire now!

 I wanted to incorporate dino bones somehow so I made dirt and drew them on with royal icing. I kept laughing because how cute they looked. I really didn't know how to do dino bones either....it just happened.
Looks pretty cool to me! Luke loved it and that's all that mattered! The only drawback after completing the cake, Luke's mom made me cut it up and serve it. Since I was the one that assembled it. I was the one who knew how to destroy it.

Bottom tier: Cherry chip cake with fresh sliced strawberries in glaze. Second tier: chocolate cake with coo whip chocolate filling. Volcano: rice crispy treat.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Another good job. Really cute. Love the bones.

Adrienne said...

those hand painted fossils are amazing!