Saturday, May 21, 2011

I owe it all to this cake!

This cake has to be the most important cake when it comes to my cakes. Because....it was the request of this cake that got me started on the whole cake making thing I'm doing right now.

 Bonnie, (my husband's ex-wife....oddly, we're friends and quite close as far as an ex and new wife type of relationships go.) got engaged a year and a half ago. Maybe even two years. And she told me that she wanted me to make her wedding cake. I laughed at her and told her she was crazy! She told me that I could start practicing "now" with all the kids and their birthdays and by the time the wedding came, I'd be ready.
 Again...I told her she was nuts, but decided to try working with fondant to see if it was even going to be a possibility. So I made Mykael's cake. I did nothing but roll it out and cover a cake. No coloring, no molding, no trickery. Anything beyond that was "too scary" for me. I successfully achieved Mykael's cake with some pretty welcoming praises. After that....I hit the ground running and haven't looked back. The wedding was put off another year and in that year.....well.....you know what I've been doing. :o)


Cake: Bottom tier-chocolate cake with cool whip chocolate filling. Middle and top tiers-white cake with buttercream filling.
Oh! and GORGEOUS fresh blue orchids to cascade down the side. *Orchids are HARD to handle! Such fragile stems that would break everytime I tried to wire them up to be able to stick into the cake.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Aud!!! That cake looks so amazing! I like the colors. They are so simple yet VeRy elegant and striking! Sounds like you had fun at the reception. I am glad and hope to see many other pieces of art in the near future. LoVe YoU!

Mykael said...

Cute cake! Bestest EVER!