Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ashton's Football Cake + more

For Ashton's end of the season football party, I volunteered to make a cake. I needed an excuse to make one. And Ash has begged for a football cake since I made Eli's lego cake.
Shot of the down markers
 I decided to not cover the whole thing in fondant because: 1. that's a HUGE piece to have to roll out. 2. That's a LOT of fondant that would just be pulled off and thrown out. 3. I was determined to frost a cake to super smooth status. I had doubled the batch of frosting and BARELY had enough. The sides suffered.

 The score board is black fondant with white acrylic paint (I've since added white food coloring to my cake tools!) and red food coloring.
 see? The sides suffered. Indeed
 This tiny little football was the big hit among the players. Everyone had to have it. I had made a helmet with each boys number just so they could have that instead. But it was the football. Should've made footballs instead. But then, they probably would've wanted the one helmet in the middle.

This was the wedding cake I was going to do, but decided that I just wasn't too that point yet in cake making, so I handed it off to Lindsay. She did a fantastic job!!!!
 I was able to make it to her house 1 day to help make roses. So I made like 6 of them. She did all the rest! Like 150!!!! of them! UGH!
 She was so kind to invite me to help assemble the massive cake. I loved seeing how that was done.

"Gluing" with royal icing, all the roses on.
 Jared and I had actually been invited to this wedding but we didn't make it. Jared later heard that the cake was a huge hit and EVERYBODY loved it! Especially the bride. Awesome job Lindsay!

1 comments:

Alisha said...

Hmm. I like the creeping vines on the wedding cake, but I didn't like all the roses. I would have preferred fewer myself. But still beautiful.

I liked your football cake. Does anyone eat the fondant? Did the little boys eat their helmets?