Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ashton

Two stories about Ashton (I didn't want to forget them So I'm here):

Every time there is a home football gameat the high school, Jared takes the boys/or Ashton to it. Being on the little league here in the community, we get emails for all sorts of activites football related. So it was brought to my attention that during the homecoming game, all the "future football players" were going to be recognized. I planned on going but something happened, that I couldn't and Jared and Ash had to rush to make the kick off. What happened was something that I wished I was there to witness personally AND have video footage as well. But have neither.

During halftime, all the players from 1st grade and up were invited onto the field in the endzone. Each grade was called one at a time to be recognized. The announcer was standing a few yards away and asked that all the players run out to him. Of course 1st grade was first and Ash starts running. Stops. Looks around and notices he's the only one. Runs back to the other guys and hides. The announcer sees this and asks, "there are NO 1st grade players here tonight?! It's ok. Come on out." Ash peeks out and timidly steps forward. Then runs to the announcer. Alone! Jared says that you could hear a pin drop then every females in attendance let out a loud , "Ahhh". To see this little boy on the field left Jared's chest puffed up with pride and mine as well when he told me the story. Ashton got "THE LOUDEST" cheer from the stands than any of the other grades that were brought to the field for their recognition. I'm so proud of my boy. For finding a passion, (albeit football) and for being brave enought to do that. I know that, at that age, I could NOT have done it. Alone!
This little one may be stretching his wings sooner than what this momma will like.
Jared has a picture on his phone that I will try and download.
***********************************************************
Second story:
Tonight was Ashton's "End of Season Football Party" honoring and spotlighting all the players. It was a LOT of fun. Held at a bowling alley equiped with high tech lazer tag and arcade games. But during our pizza dinner, all the players had taken claim to one banquet table to enjoy each others obnoxious bodily noises  company, when little Eli came a long to join. This didn't sit well with the other players because comments like, "you can't sit here!" and "you're not big enough!" came flying at him. Innocent Eli happily exclaimed, "Yes I am! I'm 5!" was only met with cruel laughter from the "big kids". BUT to my surprise, (I was SHOCKED!), Ashton says, "Hey guys, he's cool. It's ok" And they stopped. Just like that. Little Eli was then welcomed and unbothered after that. I couldn't believe it! But I am SOOOO EXTREMELY PROUD of my boy for sticking up for his little brother like that! Only in my wildest dreams! I guess something is going right, in our home. I won't take full credit for it, cause I really don't know what inspired him to do so.

....Or maybe I do. I kind of wonder if it is acutally a friend of Ashton's that has started coming over every day now. He comes from a tough home situation, so I make acceptions when he comes to play. (like putting off homework to spend time with him) I even had him help us (the family) with walnuts yesterday. He was an excellent helper keeping Ashton on task, and it was during this time that Ash was pointing out faults of Eli's and laughing,when his friend say, "It's ok, he's still little. You need to be nice". I. WAS. FLOORED! I would never expect that to come from this little boy, but it did. So when the boys ran off to play, everyone was included. And everyone was fine with that.

I know I've preached this kind of treatment to my children till I was blue in the face, but sometimes different teachers reach kids that you/I couldn't. Even if this teacher was another child. I just need to remember that. And have more trust.

Perhaps that's what needs to take place in our own lives. Just a simple statement of accepting/(sticking up for) someone for who they are, then people following suit. Regardless of politcal views, relgion, ethnicity, or whatever the circumstances may be.

1 comments:

Barry said...

Way to go Ashton!!!! I am so proud of you. Grandpa