My little Kortana bird pulled a fast one on us yesterday and it's only through luck, love, and frigid temperatures that she is still here w us.
The kids were coming in and out of the house so often, she decided she wanted to go out and see what the big deal was and slipped past when, once again someone was going out. (We let her roam the house throughout the day.) She soared right out and up, over the back of the house (she escaped through the back door for those of you who wanted to know.).
Mykaael and I ran after her, screaming, "Kortana got out!" launching Jared and the boys into a panic as well. She had flown over into my neighbors huge TALL trees. We were all yelling, "WHERE IS SHE?" "CAN YOU SEE HER?" "RIGHT THERE! I see her!" "SHE WENT THAT WAY!" "I CAN'T SEE HER!"... and other stuff like that. We were purring, calling/whistling, and saying, "Kortana pretty bird" in our sweetest voices to try and coax her down to us. She started chirping back at my whistling. (She does that when she "calls" for me in the house when I leave the room.) And tried to fly down but then took a turn towards the freeway and my heart dropped. BUT......thankfully.....turned right back around when our panicked excitment elevated. Trying to manuever through the branches to get to us, proved to be harder for her than what any normal bird could do. So she opted for a smaller apple tree in the back of the yard to land in till we could rescue her. Mykael jumped the fence and started to climb the tree. Jared decided that I needed to go as well, so with all the agility I could muster, I scaled that fence and pounced over it like a stalking cat. (I can make sick jokes now because she's home safe and my heart rate is now back to normal.)
When I got to the tree Kortana was definitely shaking cold, fluffed up and scared, and wet. Mykael was having a hard time climbing a tree that was covered in snow and was trying to coax her out with a tortilla. I reached my hand up and called to her and she attempted to fly down to me, but landed on Mykael instead. (Those branches were really throwing her off.) I told Mykael to, "Grab Her!" Even if she threw a fit. Her struggle lasted only a second, and then was content staying wrapped in Mykael's warm hands till she was warm and safe at home.
So that's just what we did. Rushed her home and when we got into the house, she flew right to her cage where she stayed for a few hours. Even when I tried to let her out, she hopped right back in. I worry that this small but frightening moment of freedom will only turn into more curiosity once the terror has left her. Or when the weather warms up. Whichever comes first.
For now, "STOP! Kortana! DON'T LET HER OUT!!!" Signs have been posted at every door leading to the outside.
It really would've been sad if she never came back. We all have gotten quite attached to her.
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment