Monday, December 15, 2008

Traditional traditions...


I don't think I can remember the last time I went Ice Skating, but I know that I loved it. It makes me think about the"old times" our parents talked about, as children bundled up like marshmellows tromping through 2 feet of snow, to the local frozen lake/river with their skates and little siblings in tow. Memories that I, for one, wanted passed on to my children. And a Sister-in-law that wanted the same for them as well. (It was actually Aunt "Launa's" idea) So when the recommendation came to take the kids... regardless of the fond memories...I was a little hesitant. Reasons being, that's a lot of kids to try and keep track of. Two..I believed that Ashton would throw a fit if he didn't like it. (I assumed that he was going to hate it, but would do it because Jaden and Mykael were doing it.) 3. Eli...I thought would be more into it than what actually was the case.

*Thank you Jaden for allowing access to Eli's legs behind you. Great kid, wanted me to get a great shot.


There's a great place in downtown SLC that has an outdoor rink and lots of lights (at night). Romantic to the adults and magical for the kids. As cold as it was, I'm glad that I allowed myself out of my comfortable, safe, WARM bubble (that has plenty of room for my children) and allow them the freedom to stretch their wings of independence, (and watch them fall a few times.) No major wounds, but we didn't go home without a few knocked heads. *Ice is a VERY unforgiving surface that leaves you stinging.
After a short while of wobbling to find thier balance....each one did fantastic. Ashton, surprisingly took right to it like a fish in water.

After Jade, Eli, Dylan, and I headed back to the warmth of the car...Mykael and Ashton stayed behind for "just awhile longer".
Even though it was a great and memorable night, true Success came after a tylenol with a good night sleep and a desire the next morning, to "go ice skating again."

Thanks Aunt Launa....We had a blast! REALLY!

2 comments:

Alisha said...

I want to go ice skating! Maybe we'll adopt this idea and make it a tradition starting this year.

Gwen said...

That sounds like so much fun! I've never been ice skating...I never got the hang of roller skates.