Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fish Update....

Before we start with the story...Just thought I'd throw this recent picture of Aaron, Omner, and Himni. They are STILL doing really great. Getting big!
I know it's been a while since I've discussed my fish, and it's not because I haven't had much to talk about...(for fish, they are VERY active. At least as a "community", this tank ALWAYS has something going on. Good AND bad!) So here goes:
The weekend of Thanksgiving, I lost 4 fish. I don't know why, but I just did. Two of them being the beautiful guppies I had named Tango and Orange. This post will remind you. (I forget which other two...seeing how I go through them SO fast!) BUT, because I had lost some, I felt that it was time, (I waited a couple of weeks!! That's good for me.) to buy more. We got 3. Two Ghost Cats (super creepy looking but I can't decide all the time what kind of fish goes in this tank plus a little variety makes it more fun to look at. Not named yet)
AND, yes...one more guppy! (The guilt of killing as many as I have, hasn't reached the Don't-purchase-any-more-because-you -can't-keep-the-poor-things-alive stage yet. So I picked a BLUE one out! He was SO pretty. Navy blue tail fin and blue lips. I LOVED it/him/her. I even named it Navy (yea, I thought it was a cool name too. ;o) Yesterday, a friend of mine came to visit/cut my hair and we talked about my continuous hobby of "Killing/keeping" fish. I was especially excited for Navy and just enjoyed watching that little fish swim around. Cute thing that it was! And continued on with my day.
This morning when I went to feed/stare at them, I couldn't find Navy. HOW WEIRD was that!? There really aren't that many places for a fish to hide in my tank (ok, NONE really!) and could not figure out HOW my fish came up missing. I had the thought maybe it jumped out and landed on the counter. NOPE, I looked. And then I noticed the net wasn't in the exact same position that I usually place it when I'm done using it. (Obssesive compulsive issue I seem to have) and knew that it had been touched. My next thought was....ELI! But the net was not wet at all. So now I'm totally going nuts and thoroughly confused. My only possible conclusion is that sometime yesterday afternoon/evening, Eli decided to go "fishing" (he's done it before AT THE PET STORE... caught poor little HEALTHY Navy and flushed him! (I had made the mistake once of letting Eli watch me catch and flush a fish after having found one dead.) I tried to question Eli about it, but the kid just doesn't communicate in an understandable way. (He mostly repeats everything you say.) But he did point to the net and say fish, then run to the toilet and flush it! GUILTY!
SO...now with all that said and much whinning to Bonnie about what happened, she took all five kids and sent me to petco with a couple of bucks to buy another one. (I wasn't ready to replace Navy quite yet...but I was excited for the fact of being ALONE. So, Korah and I went shopping.
I found a cute little green one, big, fat and active (I thought that meant healthy and hearty) and named it Kermit. (clever, I know) and brought it home to acclimate it in the water. (e.i. Let the bag the fish is in float around till the water temperatures are the same for both tank and bag...) I hung out on the computer for a awhile and then drove to Bonnie's to get the kids. When I came back to introduce the fish into the tank... WELL... I stuck the net in to catch the little bugger, I saw poop and lots of it (or so I thought) but then the poop started swimming around. HOLY MOLY! Kermit had babies! 12 of them!!!!!!!!! I called Bonnie and she said that I needed a nesting net. Of course she had one (the fish supply store that she is!) and quickly brought it over. Making my tank equipped with "fish nursery" and all. How excited was I! (actually I don't really know what I'm going to do with all of them. 12 is WAY too many for the size of tank I've got, but it will be fun to see what they look like when they get bigger. IF they survive! (You'll have to double click on the picture so you can see how cute and little they are!
In about 3-4 weeks I will be giving away guppies for anyone interested.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

I guess Kermit was really Miss Piggy!

Alisha said...

This fish thing might be errupting into an obsession. Should I be worried?

Jessica and Tom said...

You might want to keep them. This may save you some money in the long run!! You now have quite a few to go through before you will have to buy another one!

McKeeth said...

I love fish keep it up! And...Once you've been tagged, you have to write a note with 20 random things, shortcomings, facts, habits or goals about you. At the end choose 20 people to be tagged and tell why you tagged them. You have to tag the person who tagged you. I was tagged through facebook by my lovely sister J.Lee. I don't usually do these things but I think this one might help me learn a little about myself. And I'm changing the number of people to tag to 5 including J. Lee.
you can check it out on my blog

email me for the address
holliemckeeth@gmail.com

enjoy!
Hollie